PLA's Commitment to a Sustainable Future
This conference, PLA is taking more action toward sustainability and becoming more involved in sustainable initiatives. We want to do everything we can to protect our earth, so we have centered our conference planning around becoming more socially responsible and have partnered with Freeman, Nashville’s Music City Center, and surrounding hotels because of their similar commitments to creating a sustainable future.
Conference Signage & Décor
Freeman, the world’s largest brand experience company, is handling the signage and decorations for the PLA 2020 Conference. Freeman provides innovative solutions for their clients, and innovation around sustainability is no exception. Their green initiatives include properly recycling equipment and materials, donating equipment to support local and community charities, and more. Check out the Freeman sustainability page.
The PLA 2020 Conference is being hosted at the Nashville Music City Center, which was officially LEED Gold certified in 2014. With solar panels and a green roof, the Music City Center is designed to be very eco-friendly. Learn more about the Music City Center’s sustainability efforts.
The hotels that staff and guests are staying at also have their own sustainable ideas. See what they do to reduce waste:
- Clean the World is a program the Hilton Garden Inn and The Holston House participate in. It is an organization that donates unused soap and other bathroom amenities to countries in need to help with handwashing supplies and reducing waste.
- Make a Green Choice is an option The Noelle offers, which provides guests the option to request linen changes.
- Nashville Rescue Mission, Nashville Humane Society, and Shower the People are all programs that the Hilton Nashville Downtown participates in. The Hilton Nashville Downtown donates excess food, towels and sheets, and excess toiletries to these programs in order to be more eco-friendly.
As in years past, we will implement green initiatives at PLA 2020. We will support these initiatives by:
- Taking $1 for every pledge sign-up and donating it to 350.org and the Environmental Defense Fund.
- Using recycled paper to create conference badges that are also recyclable.
- Minimizing the use of paper signage and increasing the use of digital signage and monitors.
- Increasing use of mobile app and distributing electric handouts.
- Utilizing electronic mail for marketing/communication purposes.
- Providing recycling bins at the Convention and recycling paper, badges, and other materials.
- Donating all extra materials to local nonprofit organizations.
You can support these initiatives by:
- Taking our sustainability pledge
- Bringing a reusable water bottle
- Bringing a tote bag
- Walking as much as possible
- Flying economy
Personal Data Notification
The ALA (American Library Association and its units) and the ALA-APA (Allied Professional Association) (collectively “ALA”) use the personal data you provide to the ALA to process membership, inform you of products, services, conferences, education opportunities, events and for other purposes which are within the Association’s mission. To accomplish these actions, ALA contracts with third-parties who gather and process personal data to complete interactions such as online purchases, conference registration, and fulfillment. The personal data as provided is processed and stored as a legitimate Interest to the ALA in order to fulfill your requests for information and services from ALA.