Call for Proposals
The PLA 2020 Conference will be an intentionally inclusive convening that highlights innovative work and ideas that address the core challenges facing public libraries and their communities today. We are seeking proposals for educational sessions that align with this emphasis and with PLA’s Guidelines on Core Values and Conference Sites, particularly the following aspirations and intentions:
- Through its conferences, PLA provides high quality education opportunities and seeks to educate and share with host communities our core values and principles;
- PLA conferences have been and will be inclusive as public libraries are community conveners on equity, inclusion, and diversity;
- An intended outcome of our conference will be to raise awareness and ultimately, to impact changes to policies and law that are discriminatory. PLA will use our presence to educate and inspire action.
The PLA 2020 Conference call for proposals is now closed. Proposal status notifications will be sent in July 2019.
A Note on Session Formats
- Preconferences are in-depth educational sessions for 50–100 attendees. They can be a half-day or full-day in length. Preconferences typically require an additional registration fee for attendees.
- Programs are 60-minute sessions that can follow the format of a panel presentation, case study presentation, peer sharing discussion, or skill building workshop. Attendance can vary from 50 to 500 people.
A Note on Speaking at PLA 2020
PLA seeks proposals and speakers representing a wide range of diversity, with a commitment to representation of groups that have been historically marginalized or excluded due to race, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, ability, economic background, and age. We also offer support in completing the proposal form and coaching/mentoring for first-time presenters. PLA 2020 speakers will be expected to:
- Register for and attend the conference;
- Respond to PLA requests for information in a timely manner; and
- Submit session handouts electronically prior to conference.
See also: Speaker Honoraria and Expense Reimbursement Policies; and Policy on Vendor Participation in PLA-sponsored Programs.
Questions? Contact Angela Maycock, PLA Manager of Continuing Education, at firstname.lastname@example.org.